Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Metal Obsession



If, like me, you’re a fan of that well-known trinity: a strong immune system, thriving marine life and boss b*tch tooth enamel, you will join me in celebrating a recent purchase: metal drinking straws!

Wellness coach Beth Finnigan of Bwell recommends starting the day with a big glass of warm water with lemon, and that’s very much my jam (Tom Brady’s too, apparently). I like to rise and shine, hydrate like a QB, then sit for my 1/2 of quiet time before breakfast so it has time to infuse me. I trust that it’s working it’s magic on everything from my gut health to my complexion, but I started worrying that the citric acid was doing a number on my choppers.

Image result for straws in the ocean
Yes, that's a dead bird with a tummy full of single-use plastic.
"Now's the time for your tears."
photo: https://www.fws.gov/refuges/. 
Someone suggested using a straw, and we actually had some in the cabinet from years ago, but besides being an environmental nightmare, plastic straws are full of chemicals, and I could just imagine them warming up in my water glass and sliding down my gullet, all toxic-like, disrupting every endocrine they meet. I tried drinking room temperature lemoned-water through the plastic straws, but it wasn't the same.

Enter the metal straw, care of the new owner of Back Door Donuts on Martha's Vineyard. Side note: I like this guy's approach owning an iconic Island business. I've never sampled their offerings, but I respect the fact that, while he gets his sea legs, he's not changing anything but the coffee -- and, of course, the straws!!!

You can witness my delight HERE.

Full disclosure:

The metal straw does (no surprise) conduct heat. For a normal human who sips mildly warm liquids, this would be NP, but I like my drinking water hot, like my showers, so that requires a bit of care so I don't burn my lips.

Obvious Observation #2: it also clinks against the glass, so when I'm taking morning calls simultaneous to taking a sip, it might be a bit noisy.

Still, SAVE THE OCEANS, save our world, save our souls - skip the straw or make yours metal!







No comments:

Post a Comment