Monday, June 27, 2011

My Money Where My Heart Is

As June 30 approaches, so does the fiscal year-end of my high school and my college, as well as the liberal arts school at which I am employed (and, probably your schools, too!). My alma maters are my main philanthropic priority, although I also give to Polybe + Seats, my local NPR station, and more modestly to many other organizations. Last year, I made my annual gifts to my schools on a bi-monthly basis, via online transfer from my checking account. Coincidentally, I also made the largest gifts to each that I ever have. It was simple to do. I rarely thought about it once I'd set up the payment plan, and six installments of each gift didn't pinch too much at all. 

image:http://havingalotonourplates.blogspot.com

For FY12, I want to follow that age-old suggestion to give away 10% and save 10% of my income. This is a pretty significant bump-up for me in both categories. It is manageable, but, like everything worthwhile in my life, will require some discipline (especially since I generally use my savings account as a way to pay off my monthly Visa balance!). Still, I look forward to building my emergency fund and being able to support more substantially the organizations in which I believe.

My dad has often reminded me that "If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep, you are richer than 75% of this world. If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace, you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy."

Friends, I welcome inspiration from you on your approach to saving/sharing your wealth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment